Preparing Your Center for a Winter Storm | System Shut Down
When a winter storm strikes, it can have a significant impact on your business. It can suspend business operations. Winter storms can bring freezing rain, snow, ice or a combination of these terrible conditions that can cause power outages that last for days. Preparing ahead of time can help you manage the impact the storm has on your center and the safety of your employees.
In the event of impending weather events, in which it is necessary to close the center for a time, it is a good practice to completely shut down the scoring system to avoid damage to the equipment. Whenever possible it is also best to unplug any power cords for each piece of equipment also.
For the BES X scoring system
- Turn off the overhead monitors
- In case of LCD monitors controlled from the Front Desk (AccuVision, etc.) turn off the monitors from the Conqueror > All Lanes > Special Functions of the Front Desk.
- Shut down Conqueror Client computers by pressing the Windows Start button > Shut Down. Unplug the computer if possible.
- Shut down the Conqueror Server (Separate Server or the computer running Server Services) by pressing the Windows Start button > shut down. Unplug the computer if possible.
- Unplug the power to the Conqueror network switch.
- Unplug the cable labeled Power Input from each 4HD (or 5HD) Hub on the curtain wall.
- Unplug the power to the scoring network switch(s) on the curtain wall.
Once the storm has passed and you are re-opening for business, reconnect power and restore connections as listed below:
- Plug in the power connection to the scoring network switch(s) on the curtain wall.
- Plug in the power to the Conqueror network switch.
- Reconnect the power cable to the Conqueror Server, and press the power button on the computer to start the boot up process.
- If you are logged in to the desktop on the server, wait for the ‘Q’ icon to turn green.
- Plug in the cable labeled Power Input from each 4HD (or 5HD) Hub on the curtain wall.
- Reconnect power to the Conqueror Client computers, and press their power buttons to being the boot up of those computers.
- Turn on the overhead monitors
- In case of LCD monitors control from the Front Desk, turn on the monitors from the Conqueror > All Lanes > Special Functions of the front desk.
Disasters strike in every part of the world, during all seasons and on different scales throughout the year. Most often, these events are unexpected, leaving little or no time to prepare. Therefore, it is important to put time into preparation and planning long before any type of disaster strikes. Nonprofit organizations play critical roles in helping in times of disaster and are also valuable resources for disaster preparedness planning. Below are a few tools available to help you develop the best preparedness plan possible so you can lessen the impact it has on you and your center.